Thursday, March 31, 2005

Speaking of Birds of Prey a Peregrine Falcon

Peregrine Falcon
Seattle Peregrine Falcon
Originally uploaded by spappyjones.
This bird is not a Bald Eagle and it can't easily kill a dog but it was weird that my friend sent me a bunch of shots right after my dog was almost eaten. My buddy Mark is working out of Tacoma (Key Bank Tower on 16th floor) on a building project. This falcon has been hanging round the ledge outside of his office on and off for 2 weeks. I posted the shots on tweeters - a local bird list. Several birders that watch the falcons and their nesting success have responded. Apparently this one is part of a pair that successfully fledged a clutch last year on a neighboring bridge (11st Street). Last year they used the ledge for a place to cache prey until they needed it to eat. If you click on the picture there are larger sizes available. I highlighted the femur bone of another bird between the legs of this falcon. It is thought that this is a female due to the lighter amount of baring on its breast and the size. Female birds of prey tend to be larger than males.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home